Amsey 5- Creativity need not apply
1) Two words. Screen Pass. Not the Wes Welker errrrrrrrrrrr Julian Edelman bubble screen that averaged 3 yards per catch today but a true to form screen pass. The Jets were blitzing the bejesus out of the Patriots and unless I was zapped by the Men In Black movie mind erasing device, I didn’t see a single one. The Jets brought 7 and 8 consistently. The only way to make it stop is throw a screen pass. Oh by the way, we have one of the best in the business out of the backfield in Kevin Faulk. I may not always be spot on but in this instance I am absolutely right. This is why they lost the game today. The Jets defense played great but the Patriots had no creativity in countering the onslaught. Brady threw 50% of his passes today on the run or off of his back foot. Not exactly the prototypical throwing style that we’ve come to know and love from him.
2) Running back by committee flat out doesn’t work. Why? Why do it? Why not stick with Taylor on first and second down and Faulk on 3rd down. Let Maroney do kick off retuns (poorly) and Morris do special teams and back up Taylor if he needs a break. To bring in running backs at random times doesn’t allow for any of them to get into the flow of the game. To see what the defense is doing. To see who is tiring on the defensive side of the ball. It is flat out inane.
3) I am thoroughly impressed with the play of Mike Wright. He is no Richard Seymour but he comes on the cheap. To be an un-drafted free agent from Cincinnati and become a starter in the NFL is very impressive. However one area of major improvement for him is to get off the ball when it is snapped. If anyone has DVR’d the atrocity that we witnessed today, go back and watch all of the defensive snaps that he is in for. Wilfork is off like dart and Wright is delayed getting up and going. It may be only a split second, but in the NFL, that split second allows the offensive lineman to get off the ball and downfield on a running play or get his back pedaling going for a passing play. For examples see Exhibit A, Jets running game today. He plays with heart but now he’s got to play quicker.
4) 9 minutes to go 3rd and short and the Patriots run a strung out running play to the short side of the field. I don’t even have a pun or insight to provide here. I just find it absolutely insane to try that play without a pure speed back. The Jets line got fantastic push and yet another Patriots drive was stopped dead in its’ tracks.
5) The formation that I want to see forever is 4 wide. Edelman and Welker in the slots. Moss and Galloway (or someone with a pair of hands and knows which routes to run and knows what Brady is thinking and doing) on the outside. With Fred Taylor in the backfield for first and second down and Kevin Faulk for 3rd down. With those 4 outside, you need to have at least 1 safety rolling to Moss’ side of the field. Assuming man coverage, a team couldn’t send more then 6 rushers against 6 blockers. Welker always gets open. Edelman proved that he can too. Let’s show this formation a bit next week against a tough Atlanta team
a) From a positive note, at least we didn’t have to listen to Phil Simms today
b) More from the glass half full department: Gostkowski is my fantasy kicker
c) Pat Chung made a huge impact on the game today. Meanwhile in Green Bay Ray Malaluga was a beast. No, I won’t let this go.
d) For those of you not fortunate enough to have the Sunday Ticket Super Nerd errr Fan package, I was lucky to see something none of the rest of you will. When Chad Ochodicko scored his touchdown, he found some Bengal fans to leap into the stands. Nearby Packer fans wisely flipped the camera the bird, thereby rendering the shot useless for the public to see. Good job taking the camera off the idiot and back on the field. What is not known is whether or not the fan was ejected. He should have been given a suite.
e) Sanchez is the real deal. Take the training wheels off the kid.
f) I can’t believe that Kerry Rhodes was right. The Jets did embarrass the Patriots today.
g) Did Jets fans really start a Brady sucks chant? 3 Super Bowls in nine years VS. the last significant win in Jets franchise history was Super Bowl 3. Typical New York class.