For those of you new to the Amsey 5- I give you the 5 points of the previous game that you’re not going to find in the mainstream media outlets.
1) The personal foul penalty on Vince Wilfork for his form tackle and on Adaleius Thomas for sacking Trent Edwards were absolutely atrocious. The ability to play defense in this league gets harder by the week. The defensive backs can’t breathe on anyone without getting a pass interference or illegal hands call. The lineman aren’t allowed to tackle the quarterback too hard. What are we playing, two hand touch? I am formally submitting my rule change idea to the NFL this week. You think I am kidding but how far are we away from FLAGS on quarterbacks. A sack constitutes getting to the quarterback and pulling his flag. No reason to have a grey area. The quartebacks can be in their bubbles and the defensive players can gingerly reach for the flags. No one would get hit. No one would get hurt. After the game they’ll be punch and pie for everyone as they sing ‘Kumbaya’. This league is heading down a very slippery slope. Excessive commercials, unwatchable rules and call reversals, and the whipped cream on top- Labor dispute could be leading to a disaster. The NFL is on top of the world like the NBA was during the Bird/Magic to Jordan transgression. Just like baseball was in the late 90’s with the steroid era in full swing. The NFL is there now, but as the great Jerry Glanville stated when head coach of the Houston Oilers, the way this shtick is heading, it may stand for Not For Long.
2) Who didn’t love the Patriots jerseys? Hell, who didn’t love the Raider or Charger jerseys? Can we just go back in time with the uniforms. Pat the patriot is the most iconic figure New England Sports have ever seen. Besides maybe Lucky the Leprechaun. Let’s retire the Flying Elvis and bring back Pat!
3) Was it just me, or did the Patriots only bring a blitz when the Bills had a screen play called? The only pressure on Edwards all game was in the final desperation series when all receivers were going long down field into multiple defenders. Most of the game there was no pressure at all. (And when they did get pressure they forgot to pull the flag and got nailed with personal foul penalties.) Our first team defensive backs now don the silver and green in Philadelphia. Trent Edwards may not know how to attack down field with a lot of time in the pocket but Chad Pennington and Peyton Manning do. There needs to be some semblance of a rush
4) I am optimistic that the exact same report from the Patriots locker room -“knee injury- questionable return” for Jerrod Mayo is a better forecast then given last year for Tom Brady against the Chiefs. The Pats cannot afford to lose a linebacker, especially the reigning defensive rookie of the year. Now, I’ll digress from the injury to the topic that I just cannot get off of. Why in the world did the Pats draft Patrick Chung. Undrafted 2005 free agent Brandon McGowan was the 3rd safety last night. Chung was a chump in the preseason and the number 34 overall pick of the draft is invisible. Meanwhile in linebacker land, James Laurinitis is starting in St. Louis and Ray Malaluga was blowing people up all over the field in Cincinnati. The arrogant brain trust decided that even though they had 2 solid starting safeties in Merriweather and Sanders, that they would use their top pick (traded down 13 times) on a backup irrelevant safety. I hope Chung makes me eat my words but right now I’d be doing backflips with Malaluga at outside linebacker right now.
5) There is no doubt that Leodis McKelvin’s fumble was the key to the victory last evening but he compounded his idiocracy with his quote after the game. ” If I had 100 more times to run it out, I’d do it every time because that’s who I am.” What are you Dan Akroyd in Tommy Boy as Mr. Zalinski? What a moron. Leodis; You are up 5. about 2 minutes left. You have the HANDS team in to recover an onside kick. You have no blocking. You are BACKPEDALING. There are 10 Patriots flying at you with, again, no blockers. And your arrogance, cockiness, and inability to make a pretty easy call lost your team the game. Never mind that you were fighting for an extra yard instead of just going to the ground when you reached traffic. You may have racked up the most yards in the league last year on kick returns but you are solely responsible for your team losing last night.
Bonus- For any of you knuckleheads like me that stayed up to watch the Raiders Chargers last night, is there a worse, overpaid quarterback in this league then Russell? He airmails every pass over heads, dances in the pocket nervously, and the zinger- throws like Vince Young. No wonder he held out almost a month a few seasons ago to get as much money as possible because he damn well knew that this would be his only big contract he’d ever get. That guy sucks. He better prey that Al Davis forgets to take his senility pills and gives him an extension or he’ll be the next Rohan Davey in 2 years. (Without the rings.)